|Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar
||11 October 1946
||Architect of PARAM series of Supercomputers
Dr. Vijay P. Bhatkar is an Indian computer scientist of international repute. Dr. Bhatkar is best known as an architect of PARAM Supercomputers, GIST multilingual technology and Education-To-Home (ETH) mission.
Dr. Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar was born at Muramba, Maharashtra. He completed his Bachelor of Engineering degree from Nagpur University when he was barely 18.
He has been decorated with many awards for his efforts in starting institutions for technology education, innovation and providing better access to information technology.
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) Nagpur University, 1965
- Master of Engineering (M.E.) M.S. University, Baroda 1969
- Ph.D. Indian Institute of Technology Delhi 1972
Dr. Bhatkar is founder and first Executive Director of C-DAC. He led the team of professionals at C-DAC to develop the PARAM supercomputers. He is also a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet of the Indian government. Currently he is the Chairman of the Board of DishnetDSL (DDSL), the successful Internet Services company in India. He is also the Advisory Chair of International Information Technology Institute (I2IT) and is currently associated with a number of other new initiatives directed at educational transformation in India.
Dr. Bhatkar has authored/edited 8 books and over 70 research publications in supercomputing, artificial intelligence and distributed computer control.
- Distributed Computer Control for Industrial Automation – Vijay Bhatkar, Dobrivoje Popovic
- Methods and Tools for Applied Artificial Intelligence – Vijay Bhatkar, Dobrivoje Popovic
- Padmashree – one of the highest civilian recognitions by the Government of India 2000
- Maharashtra Bhushan – Highest recongnition award by Government of Maharashtra in 1999–2000
- Lokamanya Tilak Award of IIT
- Electronics Man of the Year Award
- Priyadarshani Award – For contributions in the field of Information Technology in 2000
India’s ‘SUPER(computer)MAN’ receives Sohrab Godrej Award for Science & Technology
Dr. Vijay Bhatkar
Dr. Vijay P. Bhatkar, who is regarded as the brain behind India’s “Param” series of supercomputers, was presented with the Rotary Club of Bombay Sohrab Godrej Memorial Award for Science andTechnology at the last meeting amidst prolonged applause.